Monday, January 21, 2008

Good Morning America - The TRUTH addressed

Photobucket

I have almost been at a loss concerning what to say today. There has been much on my mind since I participated in this interview for Good Morning America. I've been troubled by the smoke screen obscuring the truth versus multiple fabrications regarding the Kimkins diet. Because of these questions and discrepancies, I want to address several "points" of argument that continue to surface following any media coverage of the Kimkins controversy.

I have been accused of many things. Most center around the assumption that I have some sort of hidden agenda or motive in exposing issues regarding Heidi Diaz's presentation of the Kimkins diet. My reason remains that many people still sign up for this program who simply print out the food lists and guidelines and put it in practice. These silent people get sick without understanding why. These unheard voices may be saved by the continuing exposure of real dangers in the fundamentals of this program.


The following are the claimed "discrepancies" and my response to the accusations:

1) "There is no 500 calorie limit. I was never told to starve myself."

Well, of course you weren't. No one would be interested in a program where people are told to NOT EAT. Heidi's gimmick emerges as admins advise fervent, intense dieters to "only eat when you are hungry," while failing to define what true hunger signals. Diaz published an article on the "'myth' of starvation mode" (her idea: one cannot starve if any fat reserves remain in the body) in order to hook dieters into believing that fat people cannot eat too little. Members are told to eat when hungry, but to also determine if the "hunger" feeling is real or psychological. That is where the tricks of a cup of chicken broth (Kimmer's Egg Drop Soup = 1 cup chicken broth and 1 egg or egg white. UNDER 50 calories with 1 egg white) or Crystal Lite come in.

NO one is told to keep calories under a certain amount, but given the food lists and choices available, that is where they naturally fall because "I'm not hungry" usually comes before a desire to eat one more lean protein portion. In this post that I made last year I described how even with my calories BELOW 400 on average, Heidi encouraged me to limit my protein servings and cut foods with any fat out of my diet, completely in contradiction to the current claim of "I'm never told to eat less." This advice prior to October, 2007 was standard.

Here are Heidi Diaz' own words regarding the low calorie aspect of the Kimkins diet:

"We are low calorie after ketosis kicks in or with the shake option, but those calories are identical to post-WLS patients (500 cal a day for months), original Optifast and Medifast (450-700 cal a day for months)."


The difference? Those who are on a post-WLS diet are under STRICT doctors supervision and the do not remain on those diet plans for an unspecified period of time. Even those following a shake diet program are encouraged to eat a normal, HEALTHY BALANCED meal for dinner.

2) "We never recommend laxative use unless someone has constipation issues."

This statement actually has two parts. The second part of the phrase included the innuendo from Heidi to the moderators "... or unless someone reports that they are stalled." Along with a request to view the dieter's Fitday or food journal would be a question regarding regularity many if not most times accompanies with a version of the following instructions (Heidi's words):

"but all I'm suggesting is someone take a regular dose for 1-2 days and then a 25-50% dose each day after. The member who's doctor prescribed a laxative (which is stronger than what can bought over the counter) and to take full strength daily. Stores are full of laxatives and those people aren't all doing Kimkins."


In closing, I would like to direct your attention to this blog, published today by former Kimkins member "Regandy." In this post, "Regandy" describes the emotional and psychological damage that comes very frequently from following a program such as Kimkins. I can completely empathize with Regandy in this post. The road to maintaining my weightloss has been rocky at best. I know all to well the difficulties that come after a metabolism is damaged following a program such as Kimkins. All though there are still people utilizing this program to lose weight, their road has only just begun. Using the Kimkins program establishes a maintenance disability. It enables a fear of adding in any "normal" foods. When those attempting to add foods to their diet do, they see a shocking result on the scale.

It is because of these continued arguments and discrepancies, and because of those struggling to regain their daily lives that I continue to speak out regarding my experience with the Kimkins program and Heidi Diaz.

11 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

Thanks for continuing to spread the word despite the opposition Christin!

OhYeahBabe said...

Thank you, Christin. Your explanation about the 500 calorie thing was very clear - I hope that people hear you.

2BIG4MYSIZE said...

thanks for being willing to speak out against the dangers of the Kimkins.com plan and the dangerous advice Kimmer gives.

I'm glad you are strong enough to withstand the nasty smear campaigne kimkins affilitates are running

Becky, The Travel Maven said...

Excellent. Very well put. Truth always wins. Thanks for reaching out and pulling me out of the danger.

Cintia Listenbee said...

Hey Christin,
Just wanted to express my appreciation for your life and mission and also share something: The Lord is your helper, you will not be afraid. What can anyone do to you?
Continue to be strong Christin! You're in my prayers,
Cintia

Susan said...

Thanks for continuing to speak out against the Kimkins diet. I'm one of those people who is still struggling to add back normal foods to my diet. This week has been the first time in over 7 months that I've eaten fruit and I've had to convince myself that 1/3 cup of blueberries or 1/2 of grapefruit was "safe" to eat. I still enter everything into fitday and probably will continue to, but only because I know how easy it would be for me to start dropping down to the 500-600 calorie level again. Right now I'm losing slowly at the rate of maybe .75 pound a week at 1200 calories and I'm content to continue at that rate and remain healthy. I hate to think of how low long term members of Kimkins will have to keep their calories in order to keep the weight off.

Avenue Girl said...

People also have easy access to cough syrups and pain relievers. Does that make it right to do these things on a regular basis? Does this mean these things are non-addictive?

It is addictive to see the scale drop on a daily basis. Laxitives become a vice.

Good fats are necessary to aid any diet. We learned this the hard way.

I have heard recently that now there is no restriction on the calorie levels (we know bootcamp was a firm 500 to strive for) but this too is a mistake. Calories and Fat are two different things. One could eat 2000 calories a day, but if this is 2000 calories with no fat (ie 2000 calories of lean protein daily) the body will have problems from this. An easy example of this could be the eggwhite challenges which are encouraged. It's hard to eat 2000 calories a day of eggwhites, but if one were to do it (and there is no where on the site discouraging it) on a daily basis taking just a multi-vitamin the body will have problems.

Askazombiehousewife said...

The old low carb friends as kimmer does go straight out and say that gastric bypass people live on 500 calories. Um most gastric bypass patients never reach goal either but they do try to up there calories mad are on strict doctor's orders.

Barbara B said...

Christin, your continuing efforts to expose this dangerous diet are well appreciated. Congratulations for getting the word out nationally.

Christy Fleeman said...

Hey Christin!

I decided to email "Kimmer" about my concerns regarding the recent negative media coverage and the pending lawsuit and asked her if a refund could be guaranteed if the courts disbanded her site. These are her words copied and pasted from the email she sent me:

Hi Christy,

Hmmm, that's a lot to guarantee. I think you might be better off choosing another diet plan like www.weightwatchers.com or www.southbeachdiet.com. Weight loss will be slower and they cost $350 per year, but you may feel more secure.

We wish you the very best in your weight loss goals!

Best regards,
Kimmer


I found this extremely amusing since Paypal reported her account as raking in 1.2 million dollars in 2007! TOO MUCH TO GUARANTEE? You are SO right about how she dismisses people who question her program and its longevity and validity. This was a huge eyeopener for me! TOO MUCH??? What a fake and fraud!

Magicsmom said...

Recently, I re-visited my own Fitday log that represented my Kimkins days. It is shocking to see how low the calories were, and I know it was the constant encouragement to eat less that is part and parcel with the Kimkins mindset. Thanks for keeping the calorie issue in the forefront.